|Site of one of the most popular health resorts along Ohio River, 1845-60, seven miles west. Mineral water from spring widely used for medicinal purposes. Resort was easy of access by boat and drew many out of state guests until destroyed by fire, 1860.
Decline in use of spring water followed. Twenty other antebellum watering places flourished in Kentucky.
Return to Lewis County marker listing