|Franklin County's only covered bridge spans North Elkhorn Creek and is
120 ft. long and 11 ft. wide. It was built by George Hockensmith circa 1855. Each entrance
has a sawtooth edge; the lattice is pinned with trunnels (treenails). Restored in 1906 by
Louis Bower. Closed to traffic in 1954. This bridge was listed on the National Register
of Historic Places, 1974.
Return to Franklin County marker listing