|Erected 1850 to replace Arsenal, on Old State House grounds, that burned
in 1836. It was seized by Confederates in Sept., 1862, but recaptured by Union in Oct.
Scene of a second skirmish, 1864. Fire destroyed building, 1933, but outer walls remained
intact. Rebuilt and used by the Department of Military Affairs until conversion to Military
History Museum, 1973.
Return to Franklin County marker listing