Signs of History(SM)

Old Providence Church

Daniel Boone attended; Squire, Jr., Samuel and Mary Boone baptized here. Church name changed, 1790, from Howard's Creek to Providence. William Bush, a member of Boone's second Kentucky expedition, built the present stone structure of native limestone. United Baptists formed here in 1801. Building was passed to Negro Baptists, 1870. Restored after slight fire damage, 1949.

Photograph courtesy of the Student Technology Leadership Program students of George Rogers Clark High School (March, 1997)

Return to Clark County marker listing