Signs of History(SM)

Colbyville Tavern
Built in 1820s by Colby Taylor as a place of rest and entertainment on stage road from Winchester to Lexington. In 1832, President Andrew Jackson visited here on his trip to Winchester. During antebellum heyday in late 1840s, popular stop for those on way to Olympian Springs in Bath Co. These grounds were used as muster-and-drill area for the Winchester Light Infantry.

Photograph courtesy of the Student Technology Leadership Program students of George Rogers Clark High School (March, 1997)

Return to Clark County marker listing