|State Marker 1148|
Built in 1824 by Joseph McMurtry and David L. Ward, on the site of an earlier bloomery forge. Its stone stack used charcoal fuel, and its air blast machinery was powered from a dam, 5 ½ ft. high, in Little Sandy River. Capacity was about three tons of iron daily, mainly shipped via Ohio River. Last blast before 1835. See other side. Marker presented by Armco Steel Corp.
Photograph courtesy of Allen Marsee (April 2003)
Return to Carter County marker listing