Ghent

Signs of HistorySM


Known as McCool's Creek Settlement, it was laid off in 1809 on land of Samuel Sanders, whose father was here early as 1795. Thirteen families came from Virginia, 1800. Traditionally, on visit here about 1816, Henry Clay, a member of the commission which negotiated the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812, suggested the name Ghent in honor of historic Belgian town.
Photographs courtesy of 5th graders Nick Leep and Evan Richter, Cartmell Elementary School, Carrollton, Ky.

For more pictures of the area click here.
Return to Carroll County marker list

Copyright 1997 Grover & Jayne Hibberd