Signs of History (SM)

CAMBRIA COUNTY

Formed March 26, 1804 out of Huntingdon and Somerset counties. Its name, dating from Roman Britain, means "Wales." County seat, Ebensburg, was incorporated 1825. Famed Portage Railroad extended west to Johnstown. Birthplace of Rear Admiral Robert E. Peary. (City type: County Courthouse, Center St., Ebensburg.)

For a map directing you to Cambria County click here.
PORTAGE RAILROAD ( SR 2014 [old US 22] just E of Cresson.)
ROBERT E. PEARY ( SR 2014 [old US 22] just W of Cresson.)
ADMIRAL PEARY PARK ( At site on SR 1005 [former LR 276] just N of junction with SR 2014 [old US 22] W of Cresson.)
DEMETRIUS GALLITZIN ( SR 1005 [former LR 276], Loretto.)
LORETTO ( SR 1005 [former LR 53], Loretto.)
CHARLES M. SCHWAB ( SR 1001 [former LR 53], Loretto.)
DR. LAWRENCE F. FLICK ( US 219, 1 mile S of Carrolltown.)
JOHNSTOWN FLOOD ( Junction US 219 & PA 869, 1 mile S of South Fork.)
STAPLE BEND TUNNEL ( PA 271, 5 miles N of Johnstown.)
SGT. MICHAEL STRANK ( 125 Main St. [PA 271], Franklin Borough.)
JOHNSTOWN ( William Penn Ave. at N city line.)

Return to Pennsylvania's county list.

Signs of History SM is a service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Copyright 1999
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com