Signs of History

PERRY COUNTY

Formed March 22, 1820 from Cumberland County. Named for Oliver Hazard Perry, War of 1812 hero. Birthplace of two governors of Pennsylvania, one of California, and one of Minnesota. The county seat, Bloomfield [P.O., New Bloomfield] was incorporated 1831. (City type: County Courthouse, on Square, New Bloomfield.)

For a map directing you to Perry County click here.
 JAMES A. BEAVER   ( US 22 & 322 just NW of Millerstown.)
 CARSON LONG MILITARY INSTITUTE   ( N. Carlisle St. at school, 1 block from Square, New Bloomfield.)
 FORT ROBINSON   ( Junction PA 274 & 850, 2.1 miles W of Loysville.)
 JOHN BANNISTER GIBSON   ( PA 850, 1.2 miles W of Dromgold.)
 JOHN BANNISTER GIBSON   ( Plaque: PA 850 at Mill Rd., 1 mile W of Dromgold.)
 WILLIAM BIGLER   ( Junction PA 34 & 850, Dromgold.)
 ROCKVILLE BRIDGE   ( US 11 & 15 at N end Marysville.)
 PENNSYLVANIA CANAL   ( US 11 & 15 (W side) SW of Amity Hall.)
 PENNSYLVANIA CANAL [JUNIATA DIVISION]   ( US 11 & 15 [E side] SW of Amity Hall.)
 PENNSYLVANIA CANAL [SUSQUEHANNA DIVISION]   ( US 11 S 15 just N of Amity Hall.)
 MILLERSBURG FERRY   ( US 11 & 15 S of Liverpool, near junction PA 34.)
 DR. REIFSNYDER   ( US 11 & 15, Liverpool.)
 PENNSYLVANIA CANAL [SUSQUEHANNA DIVISION]   ( US 11 & 15 just N of Liverpool.)

Return to Pennsylvania's county list.

Signs of History is a service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Copyright 2002
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com