Signs of History

MERCER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Formed March 12, 1800 Com Al1egheny County. The U. S. census reported 3228 residents in 1800. Named for General Hugh Mercer, Revolutionary hero killed at  Battle of Princeton, 1777. Early iron and coal center.  Mercer, the county seat, was  incorporated 1814.  City type: County Courthouse, at Courthouse Sq., Mercer.

For a map directing you to Mercer County click here.

 "FREEDOM ROAD" ( US 62 SW of Sandy Lake.)
 JOHNSTON TAVERN ( US 19 N of Leesburg)
 [GENERAL HUGH MERCER] ( Plaque: N entrance, County Courthouse, Mercer.)
 CLAY FURNACE ( US 62 W of Charleston)
 ERIE EXTENSION CANAL ( Junction PA 18 & 518 E of Sharpsville.)
 ALBERT BUSHNELL HART ( PA 258 at Clark.)
 PYMATUNING ( PA 258 E of Clark.)
 ERIE EXTENSION CANAL ( Wasser Bridge Rd. (SR 4003) just E of PA 18, S of Greenville.)
 BIGLER GRAVES ( PA 58 SE of Greenville, junction SR 4003.)
 BIGLER HOME ( PA 58 SE of Greenville & W of Kremis.)
 JAMES SHEAKLEY ( US 19 at Sheakleyville.)


Return to Pennsylvania's county list.

Signs of History is a registered mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Copyright 2002
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com