McKEAN COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Formed March 26, 1804 out of Lycoming County. Named for Gov.
Thomas McKean. Smethport, the county seat, was incorporated 1853; here
the "Bucktails," famed Civil War regiment, assembled in 1861.
Oil, gas and lumber spurred the county's early economic growth. City
type: County Courthouse, US 6 in Smethport.
For a map directing you to McKean County click here.
THOMAS L. KANE
( City type: 30 Chestnut St. (Kane Memorial Chapel), Kane.)
SENECA SPRING ( PA 321 S of Kane.)
KINZUA VIADUCT ( City type: Kinzua Bridge State Park, off SR 3011
former LR 42044) 3.5 miles NE of Mount Jewett.)
SMETHPORT ( US 6 at Courthouse, Smethport.)
"THE BUCKTAILS" ( US 6 at Courthouse, Smethport.)
TIDEWATER PIPE CO. ( PA 445, .3 mile SW of Coryville.)
ST. MARY'S CHURCH ( Newell Creek Rd. at church, off PA 155 NE of
MT. EQUITY PLANTATION ( PA 155, 3 miles NW of Port
PORT ALLEGANY ( US 6, .2 mile W of & at square, Port
ALLEGHENY PORTAGE ( Junction US 6 & PA 155, Port
CERES ( PA 44 near Ceres at bridge.)
Return to Pennsylvania's county list.
Signs of History ® is a
registered mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com