Signs of History (SM)

LEHIGH COUNTY

Formed March 6, 1812 from part of Northampton County and named for the Lehigh River. Home of George Taylor, signer of Independence. County seat of Allentown sheltered the Liberty Bell during occupation of Philadelphia, 1777-1778. (City type: Old Courthouse, Hamilton & 5th Sts., Allentown.)

For a map directing you to Lehigh County click here.
INDIAN JASPER QUARRIES (City type: SR 2027 [former LR 39001] near intersection SR 2023 [former LR 30017], Vera Cruz.)
EMMAUS (Main St. at library, Emmaus.)
PORTLAND CEMENT (Kuhnsville Rd. [old US 22] W of Juhnsville.)
ABRAHAM BLUMER [1736-1822] (Plaque: on grounds of Jordan United Church of Christ at Walbert, South Whitehall Twp.)
ALLENTOWN (On main highways leading into city.)
TROUT HALL (S. 4th St. near Walnut St., Allentown.)
HARRIET A. BAKER [1829-1913] (City type: 410 Union St., Allentown.)
STEPHEN VINCENT BENET (City type: NE corner, Ostrum & Bishop Thorpe Sts., Fountain Hill.)
UNKNOWN SOLDIER (Plaque: 1st Ave. & W. Market St., Bethlehem [Lehigh County].)
GEORGE TAYLOR HOUSE (Lehigh St. [SR 1007, former Spur 153] S of Catasauqua.)
BIERY'S PORT (City type: corner Race & Lehigh Sts., Catasauqua.)
FIRST CEMENT (Opposite Coplay Cement office bldg. at Coplay.)
FORT DESHLER (PA 145 between Coplay & Egypt.)
TROXELL-STECKEL HOUSE (PA 329 in Egypt.)
SLATE INDUSTRY (PA 873 in Slatington.)
TRUCKER'S MILL (City type: Main St. [PA 873] near Diamond St., Slatington.)
FORT EVERETT (PA 143 E of Lynnport. Erected Aug. 21, 1951.)
FREDERICK LEASER (Plaque: Leaser Lake Park off PA 143 near Jacksonville.)

Return to Pennsylvania's county list.

Signs of History SM is a service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Copyright 1999
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com