One of Pennsylvania's three original counties, formed 1682 by
William Penn. Name derived from Cheshire in England. West Chester,
the county seat since 1788, was incorporated in 1799. County was the scene
of important military activities in 1777-1778. (City type: County Courthouse, N. High St., West Chester.)
For a map directing you to Chester County click here.
MINGUANNAN INDIAN TOWN (Plaque: intersection SR 3006 & SR 3034, 1.5 miles NE of Strickersville).
THOMAS McKEAN (PA 896 NW of PA 841, Franklin Twp).
EVAN PUGH (PA 472 near 5th St., Oxford).
LINCOLN UNIVERSITY (SR 3026 [old US 1] 2 miles NE of Oxford).
JOHN F. FRITZ (PA 41, 2.8 miles SE of Cochranville).
STEYNING MANOR (Plaque: SR 3048 [old US 1] southbound, .5 mile W of Kennett Square).
BATTLE OF BRANDYWINE (US 1, 1 mile E of Kennett Square).
INDIAN HANNAH (1730-1802) (Plaque: PA 52, .2 mile N of junction US 1).
AMERICAN LIGHT INFANTRY (Plaque: US 1, 1 mile W of Chadds Ford).
TRIMBLE'S FORD (Plaque: SR 3023, .2 mile E of SR 3058).
BATTLE OF BRANDYWINE [Sept. 11, 1777] (PA 842 at intersection SR 3061 SW of West Chester).
SCONNELLTOWN (Plaque: near intersection SR 3061 & SR 2001, just off PA 842 SW of West Chester).
OSBORNE'S HILL (Plaque: SR 2001 at driveway to Osborne Hill, 1 mile S of Strodes Mill).
BATTLE OF BRANDYWINE [Sept. 11, 177] (PA 926 at intersection SR 2001 W of Darlingtons Corners).
THE BRITISH ATTACK (Plaque: PA 926 at intersection SR 2001).
BIRMINGHAM FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE (Plaque: wall of meetinghouse, SR 2001, .5 mile SE of PA 926).
DILWORTHTOWN (Plaque: SR 2001 & Old Wilmington Pike, Dilworthtown).
OKEHOCKING INDIAN TOWN (Plaque: PA 3, .5 mile E of PA 926 & 4 miles W of Newtown Square).
GREAT MINQUAS PATH (Business US 322, 1 mile SE of West Chester).
GREAT TRAIL OF THE MINQUAS (Plaque: Business US 322 at Church Ave. just S of West Chester).
GENERAL LAFAYETTE (Plaque: Business US 322 at Church Ave. just S of West Chester).
JOSEPH T. ROTHROCK (NW corner, N Church & W. Lafayette Sts., West Chester).
LINCOLN BIOGRAPHY (28 West Market St. between High & Church Sts., West Chester).
WILLIAM DARLINGTON (13 N. High St. between Market & Gay Sts., West Chester).
HORACE PIPPIN (327 W. Gay St., West Chester).
JOHN BEALE BORDLEY (SR 3062 just off PA 162, 1.6 miles W of Marshallton).
JOHN G. PARKE (Business US 30 at Veterans Hospital just E of Coatesville).
PETER BEZELLON (SR 3064 at Oak St., S end Coatesvill).
BRANDYWINE MANSION (102 S. 1st Ave. (SR3042), Coatesville).
THOMAS B. READ (US 322 at intersection SR 4037 NW of Downingtown).
SPRINGTON MANOR (SR 4023 & Highspire Rd., 1 mile N of US 322, Wallace Twp.).
HOPEWELL VILLAGE (PS 345 at Warwick, just N of junction PA 23).
WARWICK FURNACE (PA 23 between Warwick & Knauertown).
CHESTER SPRINGS (PA 113 at Chester Springs).
VILLAGE OF VALLEY FORGE (PA 23 E W of village).
THE BAPTIST CHURCH IN THE GREAT VALLEY (SR 1007, .4 mile SE of PS 252, Tredyffrin Twp.).
GEN. ANTHONY WAYNE (US 30 at junction PA 252 E of Paoli).
Return to Pennsylvania's
Signs of History SM
is a service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com