Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Named for Gen. Richard Butler, Revolutionary
officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established
at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony Society, 1804-15.
(City type: County Courthouse, Main St. [PA 8], Butler.)
For a map directing you to Butler County click here.
HARMONY (PA 68 in Harmony. Erected Oct. 3, 1947.)
HARMONIST CEMETERY (PA 68 in Harmony. Erected Oct. 3, 1947.)
HARMONY MENNONITES (US 19 N of Zelienople. Erected Oct. 3, 1947.)
ZELIENOPLE (US 19 in Zelienople, Erected Oct. 3, 1947.)
GEORGE WASHINGTON (PA 68, 1.8 miles NE of Evans City. Erected Dec. 15, 1970.)
OLD STONE HOUSE (PA 8 at junction PA 173, Stone House. Erected 1968.)
OLD STONE HOUSE (At site, PA 8 at junction PA 173, Stone House. Erected 1968.)
GENERAL RICHARD BUTLER (Plaque: wall County Courthouse, Main St. [PA 8], Butler. Dedicated May 30, 1917.)
WILLIAM A. SMITH (PA 356, 9 miles SE of Butler. Erected Jan. 1, 1955.)
THE ROEBLINGS (SR 2010 [former LR 387], Saxonburg. Erected Oct. 6, 1947.)
Return to Pennsylvania's county list.
Signs of History ® is a registered service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com